Sharing outdoor adventures and friendship
Adventures For Women, founded by Betsy Thomason, is a non-profit organization, one of the few "women only" outdoor clubs in the U.S.
We bring women, 18 years or older, of all abilities together...
- to share adventures and camaraderie
- to learn new skills and develop confidence
- to gain new insights and experiences
We are an eclectic organization that loves to explore and is equally at home in the woods, the suburbs, or the city. We pride ourselves on providing ample opportunities for women to empower, improve and define themselves.
Explore our web site and take a look at our Adventure Schedule for activities from March 2014 through August 2014.
For information on becoming a member, please click here.
Questions? Send us an email or call 973-644-3592
Saturday, April 5, 2014
St. Alban's Church, Oakland, NJ
Come join us for a wonderful day of fun. AFW has organized a variety of events for the day.
- Hike - For those interested, there will be an easy-moderate/leisurely hike at Ramapo State Forest beginning at 11am. Hikers can drop food off at the Church first, meeting at St Alban's at 10:30, and carpool from there. Others can meet at the trailhead at 11am.
- Drumming with Ubaka Hill* - At 2pm (doors open at 1:30) there will be a short concert followed by a drumming workshop at 3pm, both given by Ubaka Hill**
- Snacks and Potluck Dinner - After the workshop weíll enjoy some snacks, beverages (bring your own wine or beer, if you like) and each otherís company while setting up for our potluck dinner. Please bring a favorite dish to share that will serve 4 to 6 people (appetizers, main dish, salad or desert) and include a card with the food you bring. Let us know if itís vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, etc.
Please sign up on the website if you're planning to join us for one or more events. Those who sign up will receive further details by email a couple of days before hand.
I think we've outdone ourselves this time. You don't want to miss this one!!
*Ubaka Hill ~ authentically original, energetic performer, composer, songwriter, recording artist, motivational speaker,
conference weaver, teacher and facilitator of hand drumming workshops for more than 25 years throughout the United States.
Her soul-vision and intention is to facilitate and inspire personal transformation, empowerment, healing and joy with music
that moves you.
**Ubaka plays her signature "Ube" drum, djembe drum and various other percussion instruments of different cultures including gongs, hand drums, rattles, didgeridoo and singing bowls. Her music is intentional and indefinable, inspired by her appreciation of celtic, jazz, latin, african, shamanic, folkloric, aboriginal and contemporary music, including the art of creative improvisation.
(Taken from Ubakaís website: http://www.Ubakahilldrumsong.com)
NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR OTHER WEBSITES AND 3RD PARTY CITES:
The AFW site contains hyperlinks to Web sites and dial out connectivity to information operated by parties other than AFW. Such links are provided for your reference and convenience only. AFW does not control such Web sites or locations, and is not responsible for their contents. AFW's inclusion of links to such Web sites or third party information providers does not imply any endorsement of the material on such sites or any association with their operators. AFW assumes no liability as a result of your linking to any Web site from AFW and such linking is at your sole risk.
It has come to our attention that we have been cited in the book "The Adventurous Girl's Handbook" by Stephen and Lara Brennan. While we appreciate their including us, we would like to mention that the views, information and content expressed in the book are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of Adventures For Women (AFW). AFW did not participate in and takes no position on the nature, quality or accuracy of the content. The information provided should not be relied on as advice from AFW. For such advice, a reader should consult a qualified source.
Back to top